RSS

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sweet Italian Sausage Puff Bites

As soon as I saw this appetizer, I knew that I needed to give it a try.  Not only did they sound delicious, but they looked super easy to make and not very time consuming.  These actually worked out perfectly because they were another dish that I made for my birthday celebration and I didn't have a lot of time.  I had no idea what a BIG hit they would be!  These tasty little treats were gone before I even had a chance to grab one for myself.  Next time I will definitely have to double the recipe.

I also like the idea that you can change it up by using beer battered sausage, hot sausage, etc.  So many possibilities!


Sweet Italian Sausage Puff Bites
Printer-Friendly Version

Ingredients:
1 package Sweet Italian Sausage Links (Johnsonville)
1 Sheet Puff Pastry (thawed)
1 Egg
2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1/4 cup Apricot Jelly

Directions:
Gently remove the sausage from its casing.  Cut the sausage links into 36 slices (½ inch wide).  In a large skillet lightly brown the sausage slices, on both sides, over a medium-high heat.  At this point, don’t worry about fully cooking the sausage slices; you just want to make sure the sides are lightly brown and crispy.  Set the sausage aside on a plate while you prepare the egg wash and puff pastry.  Break the egg in a small dish and whisk.  Lay the pastry out on a flat working surface and lightly brush the egg over the top of the pastry.  Proceed by cutting out 36 shapes from the pastry, using a mini cookie cutter.  Place the sausage onto a baking sheet and cover each one with a piece of puff pastry.  Insert a toothpick to help hold it all together.  Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes.

In a small bowl, while the sausage puff bites are baking, mix together the jelly, mayo and mustard.  This little treat can be served hot, warm, or room-temperature.

0 comments:

Post a Comment