RSS

Monday, December 5, 2011

Double Cinnamon Sugar Cookies


A few weeks ago, while I was roaming around Target, I happened to notice that they had holiday flavored m&m's on their shelves.  More specifically, cinnamon.  I love cinnamon, so I knew I needed to think of something I could make that would incorporate them.  Cookies, of course, were the first thing that came to mind, but what kind???  That was the question I've now spent a few weeks pondering.  (I know...I know....I can't believe that the m&m's have been sitting in my cabinet, untouched, for almost 3 weeks now!)

However, tonight I was having a serious craving to open up the bag of m&m's.  I didn't want to just waste them though, by eating them plain, so I decided to bake up a batch of cinnamon sugar cookies and include them in the batter.  What a great idea!  They definitely hit the spot!   

Double Cinnamon Sugar Cookies
Printer-Friendly Version

Ingredients:
Topping:
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon

Cookies:
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. cinnamon
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
½ cup white sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup cinnamon m&m’s

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. 

In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon, and then set aside.  Next, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, set on a medium speed, blend together the 2 types of sugar until well combined.  Add in the softened butter, and mix until a grainy paste is formed.  This will take about 2-4 minutes.  Scrap down the side of the bowl as needed.  Then add in the eggs and vanilla extract.  Beat at a medium speed until light and fluffy.

Add in the flour mixture and mix at a low speed until just combined.  Be sure not to over mix.  Using a spatula, gently fold in the cinnamon m&m’s.  Cover and place the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.  Once chilled, shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll in the cinnamon sugar topping.

Place prepared cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, or a silicone baking mat.  (If you desire you can always top cookies with more m&m’s)  Make sure the cookies are about 2 inches apart, and bake for 18-20 minutes.  Immediately transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

Serve with a glass of milk and enjoy!


Source: Adapted from At Home in Alaska

0 comments:

Post a Comment