RSS

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Chicken and Vegetable Spring Roll Wraps


Let me start this post off with one word, FAN-TAS-TIC!!!

Up until I made this savory dinner, I'd never tasted a spring roll and really couldn't even tell you why. It's definitely a food I've been wanting to try for awhile now, because they always look so healthy and tasty, but for some reason it was always pushed out of my mind when it came time to create my weekly dinner menu. This time however, because I've been trying to eat healthier, I remembered them and am really glad I did!

At first sight I was a little worried because I thought the wraps might be difficult to assemble, but they were actually very easy. However, I did have to go to 2 stores before I managed to find spring roll skins, but in the end it was worth the inconvenience.  Be warned.....this recipe is completely addicting and very filling!!!  I already find myself wanting to make it again and again, but I also want to try stuffing the remaining spring roll skins with different food items, therefore creating new recipes.

Chicken and Vegetable Spring Roll Wraps
Printer-Friendly Version

Serves: As many as you like
Ingredients:
Spring roll (rice paper) wrappers
Chunks of chicken (or turkey)
Soy sauce
White wine vinegar
Sesame oil
Chopped cilantro
Finely diced carrots
Strips of cucumber
Baby spinach or other leafy lettuce
Cellophane noodles

Directions:
Prepare the cellophane noodles and spring roll wrappers according to package directions.

In a small or medium bowl, mix together the chunks of chicken with soy sauce, white wine vinegar, sesame oil, minced carrots, and chopped cilantro.  Taste until seasoned the way you would like.  (I added in more soy sauce)

Lay prepared spring roll wrappers on a flat surface and then add in the cooked noodles, spinach, cucumber strips, and chicken mixture.  Roll up, and serve with a dipping sauce of your choice.

Here are some of the ingredients that you'll need for this recipe.  *make sure to cut the cucumbers sticking to the perimeter and away from the softer interior.*
Place the cellophane noodles in a bowl of warm water until they turn soft.  I only put in one bushel, instead of the whole package, seeing the dinner was just for me.
Mix up the chicken, sauces, carrots, and cilantro.  Next time I will definitely add in more cilantro.
After you lay the spring roll flat, add on a little of the cellophane noodles, spinach, and cucumbers.
Top with some of the chicken mixture.  To roll: I folded the two ends toward the middle and then started rolling from one side to the other.

Source: Adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks

0 comments:

Post a Comment