RSS

Monday, January 9, 2012

Quick and Easy Egg Roll Soup


Well it's official.....I'm "insane".  In other words, I decided to begin the "Insanity" workout program today and it kicked my butt.  I thought that I was already in good shape, but the program had me working muscles I didn't even know I had.  In addition to starting "Insanity", I decided I wanted to resume eating healthier foods.  I use to be really good about it, but as time went on, old habits began to resurface.  Due to this personal goal, you'll most likely be seeing more healthy recipes, like this one, appear.  Promise not to freak out though, because not everything that I share with you on my blog will become completely healthy.  My husband still needs to eat too and no matter how hard I might try, I really just can't give up making tasty desserts for friends, family, and students!

Quick and Easy Egg Roll Soup
Printer-Friendly Version

Makes 4-5 servings
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. olive oil
½ a yellow onion, chopped or diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups shredded cabbage
½ cup carrots, julienne
4 cups chicken broth (I use fat free or reduced sodium)
2 cups shredded chicken or pork
1 tsp. ground ginger
3 tsp. soy sauce (I use reduced sodium)
½ tsp. toasted sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste
Egg roll wrappers (for garnish)

Directions:
Place the olive oil in a medium to large pot, over a medium-high heat.  Add in the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until the onions appear translucent.  Be sure to stir occasionally.  Now, add in the garlic and stir for another minute or so.  Pour in the cabbage, carrots, chicken broth, chicken or pork, and ginger; then bring the ingredients to a gentle boil.  Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the soup simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.  With about one minute left, add in the soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, and pepper.  Stir all the ingredients together until combined.

Remove the soup from heat and serve immediately.  Be sure to garnish the soup with broken up chunks of an egg roll shell for a more authentic egg roll experience.

*You may always follow the cooking directions that are provided on the package of the egg roll wrappers, but I opted for the healthiest way, which was to bake them.  In order to do this I preheated my oven to 400 degrees and then I placed an egg roll wrapper on a pan that I had sprayed with Pam.  After that I lightly coated both sides of the individual egg roll wrapper with olive oil and then placed in the oven for 4-7 minutes.  Keep your eye on the wrapper, because it can burn quickly.  Once it reaches a nice golden brown color, remove from the oven and let cool for about 1 minute.  Crumble up and place on top of the soup for garnish.* 

P.S.- Feel free to use any type of shredded chicken or pork for this dish.  Just be sure that it's cooked first.  I was short on time, so I actually used canned chicken myself and it turned out great!     

Source: Adapted from Gimme Some Oven

0 comments:

Post a Comment