RSS

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Chicken with Broccoli in a Garlic Sauce


Chicken and broccoli are pretty much one of my favorite food combinations, other of course, than peanut butter and chocolate!  Typically any recipe I find, containing these two ingredients, gets immediately added to my must try list.  This particular recipe was no exception.  However, I sometimes find that I wait to try out recipes I find (because I have so many), but seeing that I've been trying to eat healthy lately, and this is a healthy recipe, I decided to make it right away.  I'm very glad I did too, because it was great!  The recipe was, without a doubt, the perfect combination of flavors!  I will definitely make it again.

Chicken with Broccoli in a Garlic Sauce
Printer-FriendlyVersion

Ingredients:
2 tsp. olive oil
1 lb. chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tsp. dried thyme
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced, or more to taste
2 cups broccoli florets
1 ½ cups reduced sodium chicken broth, divided
1 ½ Tbsp. cornstarch
2 cups cooked brown rice

Directions:
Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.  Place the chicken pieces in a bowl and add in the thyme, salt and pepper.  Stir around until the chicken pieces are coated and then set aside.  Add the garlic to the skillet, and sauté for 30 seconds to 1 minute.  Make sure to continuously stir around so that the garlic doesn’t burn.  Next, add the chicken into the skillet and cook until it’s completely cooked through, and lightly browned on all sides.

Now, add the broccoli florets to the skillet; cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.  When ready, add in 1 cup of the chicken broth and let simmer for 2-3 minutes. 

In a small measuring cup, dissolve the cornstarch in the remainder of the chicken broth.  Pour into the skillet and stir around.  Let simmer until the mixture begins to thicken, making sure to stir around constantly.  (If you want it extra thick, you may want to add in a little more cornstarch).  Serve over a bed of warm brown rice.

Source: Sparkrecipes

0 comments:

Post a Comment