RSS

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Healthy Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo with Soba Noodles


I LOVE when I find a good Chicken Alfredo, but usually try to avoid it; unless of course, it's a special occasion.  The main reason that I tend to shy away is because I know how filling and unhealthy the meal can be.  However, who am I kidding?  Chicken Alfredo is oh so delicious and addicting!

Due to my love for Chicken Alfredo, it was no surprise how incredibly excited I was when I happened to stumble across this recipe for a healthy version.  At first I couldn't believe it, and I'll even admit that I was a bit skeptical; mostly thinking that it wouldn't be flavorful.  To my surprise, it was amazing!  I just love when food proves me wrong!  This is definitely a meal I'll be making again!

Healthy Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo with Soba Noodles
Printer-FriendlyVersion

Ingredients:
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied, grilled, and cut into chunks
2 cups roasted broccoli florets
8 oz. buckwheat soba noodles
1 ½ Tbsp. EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
2 tsp. garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. flour
1 cup, low sodium fat-free chicken broth
¼ cup plain, fat-free Greek yogurt
¼ cup skim milk
¼ tsp. pepper
Dash of ground nutmeg
¾ cup, grated Parmesan cheese
Garnish – Red pepper flakes

Directions:
Cook the soba noodles according to package directions, drain and then set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan, over a medium-low heat.  Add the garlic and cook until it starts to turn a nice golden brown.  This should take around 1-2 minutes.  (To keep the garlic from burning, make sure to stir frequently)

Add in the flour and whisk constantly for about 1 minute.  Slowly whisk in the chicken broth, Greek yogurt, milk, pepper, and nutmeg.  Continue to whisk together until all the ingredients have been combined and the mixture comes to a low boil.  Lower the heat and let simmer until the mixture begins to thicken.  This can take 3-5 minutes, or longer.  Continue to stir gently.  Once the sauce is ready, mix in the Parmesan cheese and stir together. 

Lastly, add in the grilled chicken pieces, roasted broccoli, and soba noodles.  Toss together until all ingredients are well combined.  Garnish with a little extra Parmesan cheese and some red pepper flakes.  Serve immediately!

Source: Slightly adapted from Celebrations!

0 comments:

Post a Comment