RSS

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Stromboli


Yesterday I shared a delicious recipe for a whole wheat pizza dough, and said that I'd be telling you what I used it for.  So, as promised, here it is......

Very rarely, if ever, do we order a pizza in this household.  I honestly can't even tell you the last time that I ate pizza, which is funny, because it used to be my favorite food.  Usually it's something special that Jeff will get when/if I'm out of town, but even then, he doesn't seem to order it too much anymore.  That's why, every so often, I like to do something special, and make him a homemade pizza, or Italian type meal.

This time around, I decided to make Stromboli instead of a traditional pizza.  For those of you who don't know, Stromboli is pretty much the same thing, but the toppings are encased in the crust.  To me, this is way tastier than a regular pizza because the crust just so happens to be my favorite part anyway.  I can remember, while growing up, my parents would order themselves a pizza every Sunday night (it was their tradition) and I would always ask my mom if she would please cut off her crust and give it to me, which she did.  Thanks mom!  Sadly though, times have changed, and this particular meal was not for me to enjoy.

There's one more thing I'd like to say before I get to the recipe and that is, the great thing about pizza and Stromboli is you can incorporate whatever ingredients you'd like.  This time around, I chose to make a meatlovers Stromboli for Jeff, but you could always add in vegetables or anything else that sounds delicious to you!

Stromboli
Printer-Friendly Version

Ingredients:
Pizza dough
Genoa Salami
Ham
Pepperoni
Mozzarella cheese
Provolone cheese
Olive oil
Egg yolk
Garlic powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

On a flat, well-floured surface, roll out the pizza dough into the shape of a rectangle.  Make sure that it is large enough so that you may add in your meats and cheeses.  Once the dough is ready, place on the meat layers, in whatever order you’d like, just make sure to leave about 2 inches on each side.  After the meat has been added, layer on the cheeses.  (I have the tendency to stuff mine too full and it makes it difficult to roll up, but is so yummy looking)
 
 
Now, add a little bit of water to your egg yolk and whisk together.  Brush the egg mixture along the edges of the dough.  This will help the dough stick together when you roll it. 

It’s now time…..

Starting on one of the long sides of the dough, begin to slowly roll, making sure to tuck in the ingredients as needed.  Once the dough is rolled up, pinch it together to seal the ingredients in and tuck/fold under the edges.
 
 
Place the now prepared Stromboli, seam side down, onto a baking sheet.  Cover the dough with a thin layer of olive oil and sprinkle on some garlic powder.  You could also sprinkle one some parsley or oregano for a little extra flavor.  Place the prepared Stromboli into the oven for 20-25 minutes.

When done baking, remove the pan from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes.  Cut the Stromboli and serve with a side of marinara sauce.
 
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment