RSS

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Copycat Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Scones


Once again I sadly disappeared for a few days, but it's not entirely my fault.  I'm so over being sick and it's been interfering with my daily routine, which I absolutely hate.  I don't have time to be sick either, which is what I'm sure everybody says, but I really have things that need to get done and a calendar full of workouts to stick to.  Sadly though, the workouts haven't been getting completely accomplished.  However, I have been pushing myself and staying on top of the daily squats.  I just haven't had the energy though to use my treadmill, or completely make it through my posted workout routines.

Today is the first day in over a week, that I actually woke up feeling so much better.  Therefore, I decided to take advantage of it!  I ended up walking for 10 minutes on the treadmill, set at a 30 degree incline, in addition to completing my Wednesday workout routine, plus the 60 squats.  Now, I know what you might be thinking.....10 minutes on the treadmill may not actually sound like very much, but with a fractured pelvis bone, and not being able to workout for about a month, I'll take it.  To me, 10 minutes or not, is definitely progress and a step in the right direction.  In addition to working out, I also managed to get some of my errands run, the house cleaned up a bit, and I even had time to make Jeff these delicious scones!  Hopefully tomorrow I will make it back to the gym!

So, onto the scones.........

Every time that I happen to go into Starbucks (which is A LOT) and see their pumpkin spice scones, I think to myself that I need to try to make them.  Well, I couldn't help but notice that I happened to have some leftover pumpkin puree in the refrigerator from when I made the pumpkin spice protein cookies the other day.  Therefore, I thought to myself what better way to use the leftovers than to create those delicious looking scones!  I immediately grabbed the can out of the refrigerator, and here's the result.  Enjoy!

Copycat Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Scones
Printer-Friendly Version

Makes 8 scones
Ingredients:
For Scones:
2 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cups sugar
1 TBSP. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. ground cloves
½ cup pumpkin puree
3 TBSP. heavy cream or milk
1 large egg
6 TBSP. cold butter, cut into cubes

Plain Glaze:
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
1 TBSP. milk

Spiced Icing:
¾ cup confectioner’s sugar
1 to 2 TBSP. milk
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
Dash of ginger
Dash of cloves

Directions:
For the Scones:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.

Now, place all of the dry ingredients into a medium size bowl and whisk together.  Once the dry ingredients have been whisked, proceed by cutting in the butter until small, pebble size pieces form. 

In a smaller bowl, add the egg, pumpkin, and heavy cream.  Whisk together until smooth.  Fold the wet ingredients into the flour mixture until a dough forms, I always start with a wooden spoon and then use my clean hands.  The dough should be a little sticky, but if you feel that it’s too sticky, feel free to add in a little more flour.  Place the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, and shape it into a large circle, about 1 inch thick.  Next, using a knife, or a pizza cutter, cut the circle into 8 triangles and separate.  Bake the scones for 12-15 minutes, or until they look cooked through and are beginning to turn a light golden color.  Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.  Transfer the scones off the baking sheet and onto the wire rack to cool completely.

For the Plain Glaze:
In a small bowl, combine the confectioner’s sugar and the milk.  Stir together until an icing forms.  Make sure that it is not too thin otherwise the glaze will just roll off the scones.  Once the glaze has been mixed, place it on top of the scones and spread around with a knife, or the back of a spoon.  Allow the glaze to harden.

For the Spiced Icing:
In another small bowl, combine all of the ingredients and whisk together until smooth.  Drizzle the icing over the top of the plain glaze.  Allow time to harden and serve.


 Source: Starbuck's Coffee Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment