RSS

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pumpkin Pie Spice Protein Cookies with Dark Chocolate

Here's wishing you all a very Happy Halloween!!!!!!
 
 
And what better way is there to celebrate a holiday that's dedicated to providing an all time sugar high, than by baking a healthy treat instead?  Don't think I'm being a total party pooper though, I've had candy bars sitting in the bottom of my pantry for about a week or so, and I can proudly say that I haven't even been tempted by them.  For me, that's a huge step forward in the healthy eating department.  I'm proud to say that I've been doing well. 

Ok.....back on topic.....I think that I may have said this last October, but I'm going to say it again, just in case; I've never been a big fan of Halloween and I really debated whether or not to pass out candy.  I didn't debate this because I don't like the holiday, but mostly because we never seem to have too many trick-or-treaters.  However, I remembered how much I do enjoy seeing the little kids in their creative costumes, and seeing that we're in a new housing development, that has grown a lot since last October, I decided that we would, yet again, take part in the tradition.  It's hard to know what the night will hold, though.  For example, one little girl last year didn't even want the candy she had originally come to the door for, instead she just sat down on our front porch wanting to play with our dogs, while another little boy gave us his goldfish crackers in exchange for a piece of candy.  Kids can be so cute. 

Ok.....back to the Pumpkin Protein Cookies now........I was originally looking for something that would be a healthier alternative to candy, yet would still meet our need for sweets on this eccentric holiday.  I've seen quite a few recipes out on the Internet recently, for protein cookies or protein balls, and I've been wanting to try them.  However, I really wanted to keep with the theme of the holiday.  That's why I decided to take the idea of protein cookies and add the flavor of pumpkin into the mix.  Here is the delicious and nutritious result........

Pumpkin Pie Spice Protein Cookies with Dark Chocolate
Printer-Friendly Version

Makes 20-24 cookies depending on size
Ingredients:
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup pumpkin puree
¼ cup almond milk
1 TBSP. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 ½ scoops vanilla whey protein powder
1 TBSP. agave nectar
1 TBSP. molasses
2 TBSP. ground flaxseed
¼ cup dark chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

In a large bowl, place all the ingredients together, and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.

Drop small spoonful’s of ‘dough’ onto a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, press the cookies down a little, and then place in the oven for 15-18 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool.  Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment