RSS

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

"Christmas Crack" A.K.A - Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark


Consider this your WARNING!!!!  Once this treat is made, and you find out exactly how easy it is, there's absolutely no turning back!

This salted caramel bark is so incredibly addictive, it actually took all my will power to say no to it this year, especially when I was photographing it.  I did such a good job too, avoiding it, but a late night craving came and sadly I caved.  I know that it's bound to happen every now and again, and I can't let one little slip up hold me down.  Especially seeing that I've been doing so well and am finally getting back into my old routine.  I actually went to the doctor for my follow-up appointment and the x-rays show that the cracked bone in my pelvis has healed, now it just needs to regain its' strength.  I'm excited because I've also been able to run a little and am back up to 1.25 miles, which isn't bad for my first week running since October. The process may still be a little slow going right now, but I'll get there and every day I am able to do more than the day before.  The human body is amazing!

Anyway......back to this scrumptious holiday treat!  It is definitely one that's guaranteed to be a hit, and the ingredients are all things that you may already have on hand!  Enjoy!

“Christmas Crack” – Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark
Printer-Friendly Version

Ingredients:
½ bag of mini pretzels
1 cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1 bag of milk chocolate chips
1 cup Hersey’s cinnamon chips (you can leave out if you want)
Sea Salt

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Next, line a 4-sided baking sheet with aluminum foil and spread out an even layer of pretzels; set aside.


Now, in a sauce pan, over a medium heat, melt the butter and sugar together.  Make sure to stir the mixture around until all the sugar has been dissolved.  Allow the mixture to come to a boil, and continue to cook until it turns a nice caramel brown color and begins to thicken.  This will take about 5-8 minutes.  Be patient, because if the mixture doesn’t cook long enough it won’t have that caramel consistency you need.

Once the sauce is ready, pour it evenly over the pretzels.  (If it doesn’t completely coat all the pretzels, that’s fine, it will spread out in the oven)  Place the pan into the preheated oven and allow to cook for 5 minutes.  When ready, remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle on the chocolate and cinnamon chips.  Allow the chips to sit for 1-2 minutes and then take a spatula and evenly spread out the melted chips. 
 
 
Garnish with some sea salt and then place the pan in the freezer or the refrigerator to speed up the cooling process, in addition to making it easier to remove the aluminum foil. 

Christmas Crack holds up well when stored in an airtight container and kept in the refrigerator.  Serve at your next holiday function and it will definitely be a hit!
 
Alternate Version:  Instead of using pretzels as a base layer, you could use saltine crackers.  Both ways are absolutely delicious!
 
Source: Adapted from Eat at Allies

0 comments:

Post a Comment