RSS

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Winter Delights: White Chocolate and Candy Cane Cookies with Peppermint M & M's

It appears that lately, Target has become a part of my daily routine.  I tend to go there to just walk around and see what's new.  However, the only down side to this is that I ALWAYS seem to find something I didn't know that I always needed.  On my last trip into Target, I happened to come across bags of Peppermint M & M's, plus Peppermint Hersey Kisses.  They looked absolutely delicious!  I apparently like to torment myself, by walking through the aisles and looking at things I know I can't eat.  I think it goes without saying that I bought both types of candy, but mostly because I knew that I could find, or create, something delicious to include them in that others would enjoy!

This means that I am once again contradicting my own personal goals with the recipe that I'm posting.  However, with it being the holiday season, I think that this is going to happen a lot.  I have a ton of holiday baking to do for people, and I always get asked how I do it.  How do I make such tasty looking desserts and not eat them?  The answer to the question is always the same......A lot of willpower and Extra's Mint Chocolate Chip gum, which is my life saver.

So, with all that being said, if you're looking for a festive holiday treat, with a lot of Christmas cheer, then this cookie is definitely worth trying out!  If you decide that it's not for you, don't fear, more sweet treats will be posted soon.  Enjoy!


Winter Delights: White Chocolate and Candy Cane Cookies with Peppermint M & M’s
Printer-Friendly Version

Makes about 3 dozen cookies
Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
¼ - ½ tsp. salt
¾ tsp. baking soda
1 cup butter, room temperature (I always use Country Crock sticks whenever I say butter)
1 cup light brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 TBSP. vanilla extract
1 cup white chocolate chips
½ cup of crushed candy canes, divided
¾ cup White Chocolate Peppermint M & M’s

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking soda.  Whisk the ingredients together and set aside for later use.

Now, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together the butter and sugars on a high speed, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.  This process should take about 2-3 minutes and the mixture should appear light and fluffy in consistency.  Next, add in the eggs and vanilla, and then beat until smooth.  Change the power setting on the electric mixer to low, and slowly pour in the flour mixture.  Let the ingredients mix until just combined.  Lastly, fold in the white chocolate chips, ¼ cup of the crushed candy canes, and of course, the M & M’s.

You are almost there…..Now you will want to place the prepared cookie dough in tablespoonful’s onto the baking sheet, making sure to space the cookies out about 2 inches apart.  Top each cookie with one or two more M & M’s and then sprinkle on a little more crushed candy cane pieces.  Place the cookies into the oven and allow them to bake for 10-12 minutes.  (Mine took exactly 10 minutes to bake; you don’t want them to turn brown)

Once ready, remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for 3-5 minutes.  After that, remove the cookies from the baking sheet and place on the wire rack to cool completely.  These cookies make for the perfect holiday treat!

 
Source: Slightly adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod

0 comments:

Post a Comment