RSS

Friday, July 8, 2011

Southwest Summer Chicken

When I hear the word "summertime" I immediately visualize fireflies, bonfires, s'mores, fireworks, friends, and barbecues.  I just love the smell of tasty food cooking on the grill, even if it is not neccessarily for me.  Unfortunately, every so often, the weather chooses to get in the way, which just so happened to be the case last night.  However, I was not going to let that ruin the wonderful dinner I had planned. 

To be honest, I was a little nervous about this particular recipe.  Not because I couldn't grill it like the recipe originally called for, (I'll get back to that) but because I have NEVER been a fan of barbecue sauce.  My husband however, loves barbecue sauce and seeing that I have made him try out LOTS of new foods lately, I decided that it was only fair that I try this recipe, which I knew he would love.  To my surprise, I loved it too!  The chicken was quick and easy to make, and instead of grilling it (due to the rain), I just stuck it in the broiler.  I will most likely broil it next time as well, due to how juicy the chicken turned out.  If you want to though, you may always choose to cook this chicken on the grill.  Either way, I am sure it will turn out fantastic!

    
 Southwest Summer Chicken
Printer-Friendly Version

Ingredients:
4 tsp. dried minced onion
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried or fresh minced garlic
½ tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
2 chicken breasts, butterfly to create 4 pieces
¼ cup barbecue sauce
2 Tbsp. lemon juice

Directions:
In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients.  Rub the mixture over both sides of the chicken breasts.  Now, combine the barbecue sauce and lemon juice in a large resealable bag and add the chicken, turning to coat.  Let marinate in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.

Turn oven on broil.  Discard marinade.  Place the chicken pieces on a wire rack set over a baking sheet and broil for 12-15 minutes, making sure to turn the chicken pieces over once about halfway through.  If you choose to grill the chicken, make sure to cook the pieces over medium heat until the thermometer reads 160 degrees.

0 comments:

Post a Comment