RSS

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Summertime Cookies with Royal Icing


Within the past couple of months my housing development has unfortunately lost quite a few houses to an arson.  We, as a community, have been working closely with the local police and fire department and this Wednesday the community is holding a "crime watch" cookout and needed volunteers to make dessert.  I of course volunteered and thought that it would be fun to make and decorate cookies! 

Naturally, the first thing that came to mind was the community watch logo, but I thought that it would be more fun, and colorful, to go with a summer theme.  Therefore, I decided that I would make lemons, oranges, watermelons and beachballs.  The watermelons are definitely my favorite! 

Typically, people use a traditional sugar cookie when flooding with royal icing, but instead I decided to use my grandmother's sour cream cookie recipe.  For these cookies I used the following royal icing recipe and then just thinned it out with water in order to flood the insides.  Enjoy!

Royal Icing
Printer-Friendly Version

Ingredients:
4 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
3 Tbsp. meringue powder
½ tsp. vanilla extract
5-8 Tbsp. water (more if needed, but add a little at a time) 

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on low-medium for 7-10 minutes, or until icing reaches desired consistency.  *Icing should be a little hard, but still soft enough to pipe through a pastry bag.  Make sure to cover any unused icing with a damp towel so that it doesn’t harden as you are working.*


0 comments:

Post a Comment