RSS

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Four-Meat Layer Italian Bake


To me, Italian food is almost as good as Mexican food, especially Italian sandwiches!  I tend to lean towards ordering them whenever I go places like Subway, Firehouse subs, Quiznos, etc.  My all time favorite Italian sandwich though, would have to be the 'Italino' from TGIFriday's.  Sadly though, it was removed from the menu when the restaurant was remodeled, which was years ago.  Thinking about it now, I really haven't been back to a TGIFriday's since.

With how much I enjoy Italian sandwiches, I find it difficult to believe that the thought of making my own sandwich, at home, never really occurred to me, until yesterday.  It all happened because I was playing around online (which I do a lot in the summer) and stumbled across a recipe for an Italian layer bake.  My initial thought was, "Boy! That sure looks delicious!", however, after clicking on the link, and reviewing the recipe, I couldn't help but feel that it was missing some key ingredients.  I immediately came up with an idea, and here's the result......

(If I were making this dish just for me, I probably would have spread a little bit of Italian dressing over the crescent rolls, but Jeff does not like dressing.  Either way, I am making this again!)

Four-Meat Italian Layer Bake
Printer-Friendly Version

Ingredients:
1 (8 oz) tube Pillsbury crescent rolls (I use the low fat)
22 slices Oscar Meyer Honey Ham deli slices
16 slices Oscar Meyer Oven Roasted Turkey deli slices
16 slices deli hard salami
16 slices pepperoni
½ cup Swiss cheese, shredded
1 cup
2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
4 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. parsley flakes
2 tsp. basil
Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
4 eggs, beaten

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with a nonstick cooking spray.  Now, unroll the crescent roll dough without separating the triangles.  Divide the dough into two squares, tearing apart on the precut center line and then press one of the squares onto the bottom of the baking dish, making sure to use your fingers to evenly spread it out. 
 
 
Layer on top of the roll half of the ham, turkey, salami, and pepperoni. 


Top the meat layer with half of each of the cheeses listed, followed by half of the seasonings. 


Pour on half the egg mixture and then repeat the ingredient layers.  Take the final crescent roll square and lay it on top of the second layer of meats and cheeses.  Once again, use your hands to help you spread the roll over the top.  Pour over the remainder of the egg mixture and garnish with some more cheese and seasoning.  (It’s up to you how much and which ones)


Cover the dish with foil and bake for 22-25 minutes.  Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and the crescent rolls start to turn a nice golden color.  Once ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.  Cut, serve, and enjoy!


Source: Adapted from Key Ingredient

0 comments:

Post a Comment