RSS

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Hawaiian Cauliflower Fried Rice

 
Happy Fourth of July!!!

Personally, I've always been a huge fan of the Fourth!  Not only is it a time to celebrate our country's independence, but it's also a time for fireworks, BBQ's, family, friends, parades, etc.  Growing up I can remember decorating my bike and riding it in parades, setting off those little black, expandable worms in my driveway, writing my name with sparklers, and going over to my grandma's house to watch fireworks over the lake.  Then, when I was a little older, there was a group of us, including Jeff, who would drive from Michigan, all the way down to Tennessee, just to buy our own fireworks to shoot off.  So many good stories come from those Fourth of July festivities!

Flash forward to today though, and I'd have to say that I actually had no holiday plans.  This year I didn't go to a parade, the beach/lake, a BBQ, or even see fireworks.  I did however hear some and still do, even as I'm typing this.  Instead, we chose to celebrate the Fourth of July with just a relaxing day at home, which was nice.  It also gave me time to make this delicious meal, which I'll probably be making again within the next day or so, because it was that good!

Hawaiian Cauliflower Fried Rice
Printer-Friendly Version

Ingredients:
3-4 TBSP. low sodium soy sauce
2-3 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1-2 tsp. Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (more or less, depending on your taste)
1 TBSP. vegetable or canola oil (I used olive oil to make it healthier)
2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
6 green onions, chopped, and separated (white part from green)
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tsp. ground ginger
4-5 cups riced cauliflower (I make mine in a food processor)
3 egg whites, scrambled
1-2 cups fresh pineapple pieces

Directions:
In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, and hot sauce; set aside.

Heat about ½ the vegetable/canola/olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet, or wok set over a medium heat.  After about a minute, add in the chicken, red pepper, and the white parts of the green onion.  Sauté the ingredients together until the onion is lightly browned and the red pepper is tender (not mushy, about 3-5 minutes).  Once ready, mix in the garlic and ginger and allow to cook for another 30 seconds to a minute, or until fragrant.  Remove the chicken mixture to a bowl, and set aside.

Place the remainder of the vegetable/canola/olive oil to the skillet or wok and add in the riced cauliflower.  Allow the cauliflower to cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until it becomes soft to the touch and browns a little.  Make sure to move the cauliflower around, to ensure even cooking (I always use a wooden spoon).

Once the cauliflower is ready, add in the chicken, pepper, and onion mixture, the scrambled egg whites, and the prepared sauce.  Stir the ingredients around until everything is evenly distributed and heated through.  Remove the skillet or wok from the heat and then stir in the pineapple pieces and the scallions (green part of the green onion).  Serve warm!


Source: Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

0 comments:

Post a Comment