RSS

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Baked Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls


I know...I know....You might be tired of it, but this post is in fact another buffalo chicken one.  I can't help it though, I'm addicted. 

The great thing about this particular recipe, compared to some of the other buffalo chicken ones that I've posted, is the fact that it's not too bad for you.  This is mostly due to the fact that the egg rolls are baked instead of fried.  In addition to baking them, I tried to lighten the calorie count by using fat free, and low fat ingredients.

I absolutely love egg rolls and have been wanting to try to make some for awhile now.  However, I know that Jeff won't eat the traditional kind, therefore I decided to make my own version.  I still plan to try making the traditional variety one of these days; perhaps when Jeff goes out of town on business.  I'll keep you posted!

Baked Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
Printer-Friendly Version

Servings: 7-10, or can vary depending on how full you fill the egg roll shell
Ingredients:
17-20 oz. cooked, shredded chicken (I cheated and used mine out of a can)
4 oz. fat free cream cheese
¼ cup (or a little more) Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
1 tsp. ranch dressing (fat free)
1 cup or more, Shredded cheddar cheese (low fat)
Egg roll wrappers

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly coat a pan with olive oil.  I lightly sprayed PAM that contains olive oil in it.

Place the cream cheese in a small, microwave safe, bowl and then place it in the microwave for 15 seconds.  Stir the cream cheese around until smooth.  If needed, place it back in for a few more seconds.  *Don’t overcook*

In a medium bowl, add the shredded chicken, making sure that it’s warmed through.  If needed, place the chicken in the microwave for about 30 seconds or until warm to the touch.  In the same bowl, add in the cream cheese, Frank’s, ranch dressing, and ¼ to ½ cup of the cheddar cheese.  Stir the ingredients around until well combined.

To assemble:
Place a spoonful of the buffalo chicken mixture into the center of an egg roll wrapper, and top with a little cheddar cheese. 


Lightly coat the corners of the wrappers with water (to help hold it together) and then fold two of the corners inward and tightly roll up the rest.



Place the prepared egg rolls seam side down onto the baking sheet and very lightly coat with a little olive oil.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the egg rolls are a light golden brown.

Serve warm and enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment