RSS

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Chicken and Lime Avocado Salad


Once again I sadly disappeared for awhile and I'm sorry.

The past two weeks have just been so hectic, yet so much fun at the same time!  Things are finally starting to settle down.  Between traveling, visiting family and friends, being sick with the flu, the excitement of the holidays, eating too much, packing and unpacking, and taking down Christmas decorations, I've been exhausted.  However, I think I've finally recovered and am pretty much back to my usual schedule. 

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to take a minute or two right now, and share with you a little bit about what I've been up to lately.  If you want to just skip right down to the tasty recipe though, please feel free. 

As I previously mentioned in a post or two, Jeff and I traveled to Michigan over the holidays, and if any of you happen to live up in that region, or have been keeping up with the nation's weather reports, then you already know that the northern states are getting slammed pretty hard with severe weather.  It actually began to go downhill the day we arrived.  Literally, the moment we crossed the state line into Michigan, a huge ice storm began. 


The storm ended up causing us, and thousands of others throughout the state, to actually lose electricity due to all the down power lines that collapsed under the pressure of the ice.  I'm not going to complain about the ice though, because luckily for us we only lost power for about 3-4 hours, whereas some of my other family members and friends lost it for about 4 days!  Overall it was a big mess, and I know it ruined a lot of people's Christmas celebrations.


The weather didn't stop there either, later that week, as we went from Jeff's parent's house, to my grandma's house, and then our friend's house, the temperatures continued to drop and more and more snow started to fall.  The day we decided to head back to North Carolina was probably not the best day to choose from, but I'm glad we did.  Apparently, at least from what I've been seeing and hearing, it's just getting worse and worse up there.  The ride home was miserable too.  Jeff and I both had the flu and we ended up driving through severe snow storms the entire way back.  It was so bad that at some points we couldn't even see the road, or tell if we were on it.  In addition to being sick, and driving through the snow, we passed at least 30 or more cars and semi-trucks that had slid off the road, plus, we encountered quite a few traffic standstills, ugh!  One standstill, which we hit in Ohio, involved me actually putting the car into park, on the expressway, for 2 straight hours.  The journey home, that should have only taken twelve hours, ended up taking about eighteen.  I usually wouldn't have minded, but we were both sick, plus we had our two little dogs with us.


On a brighter note, we are home and had a great time visiting our family and friends! 





I'm also all unpacked, decorations are taken down, laundry is done, and I'm feeling fully healthy again and ready to take on the new year!  I know I haven't posted my workout calendar for January yet, and I'm sorry because I know that some of you take ideas from it.  So far this year I've just been kind of doing whatever comes to mind, mostly because I haven't had the time to sit down and create anything.  I'll do my best to get a calendar made today though and hopefully it will be posted soon; better late than never I always say!

Ok..... enough about my holiday, now it's time to share a delicious and healthy recipe that I made for dinner the other night. 

Lately, I have found so many wonderful looking recipes that I've been wanting to try out, but have been afraid to do so.  This is mostly because, like me, Jeff can be a pretty picky eater, especially when it comes to healthier foods.  Over the holidays though, he informed me that he'd be willing to try out whatever I make; which had me super excited!  I got started on our weekly menu right away.  However, looking back now, I have to admit that this was probably not the best recipe to begin with; especially since I was trying to convince him that healthy meals are delicious.  You see, Jeff is not really, nor has he ever really been a big fan of fruits or vegetables, especially the lesser known ones, and this recipe contains avocados.  Part of me thought that it would be safe though, because he likes guacamole;  I was wrong.  After dinner, Jeff told me that it wasn't a terrible meal, it just wasn't for him.  I on the other hand loved it, and would definitely make it again!  To me, it was a perfect combination of flavors, and everything that I enjoy in one dish!

Chicken and Lime Avocado Salad
Printer-Friendly Version

Ingredients:
2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded (size is up to you)
2 medium avocados, diced into bite size pieces
2 TBSP. lime juice, freshly squeezed
Salt
¼ cup green onion, finely sliced
½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
2 TBSP. light mayo

Directions:
(To make the dressing)
In a small bowl, combine the mayo and 1 TBSP. of the freshly squeezed lime juice.  Mix the two ingredients together (it’s really that easy).

After that, place the diced avocados into a medium bowl and add in the remaining 1 TBSP. of the freshly squeezed lime juice and sprinkle on some salt.  Now, gently mix around the avocados until they are evenly coated; set aside.
 
 
Place the chicken and green onions into a separate bowl and then add in the dressing.  Once ready, toss the ingredients together until everything is well coated. 
 
 
After that, add in the avocado and gently mix around.  Lastly, place in the chopped cilantro and continue to mix around until the salad is just combined.
 
Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator!
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment