RSS

Friday, January 17, 2014

The Best of Breakfast: Pancake Egg Sandwich


This post may be a little overdue, but it's definitely worth me going back to. I actually made this recipe for breakfast over the holidays, to serve to my husband and in-laws.  I'd have to say that it was definitely a hit and something I can easily see myself making again; probably very soon.  That way, Jeff can have a decent breakfast during the hectic work week. 

You see, I typically don't get a chance to cook breakfast a lot, and Jeff usually just ends up having Pop Tarts.  The reason for this is because I go to the gym every morning at 5:20, before Jeff gets up, and then he heads into work before I'm home.  We seem to just miss one another on the weekdays.  That's really why I want to make something that Jeff can heat up on his own, and I feel that these breakfast sandwiches would be the perfect, make-ahead and freeze meal.  Once I know for sure how they turn out when frozen, and how long to microwave them, I'll update the post.  Until then, serve fresh and enjoy!

(Hint: Next time, I was going to try to add on a slice or two of Canadian Bacon for a little more protein.  You can never have enough protein!)

The Best of Breakfast: Pancake Egg Sandwich
Printer-Friendly Version

Ingredients:
For Pancakes:
2 ½ cups self-rising flour
Dash of salt
2 cups skim milk
2 eggs
¼ cup vegetable/canola oil, or healthy substitute
Butter for skillet

For Eggs:
8 large eggs, or substitute egg whites for healthier version (use more eggs)
1 TBSP. skim milk
4-5 crumbled cooked sausage patties (I use turkey sausage)
¼ tsp. black pepper
Dash of salt

For Assembly:
Canadian Bacon/Bacon
American cheese slices
Maple syrup

Directions:
For the Pancakes:
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.

Combine the milk, oil, and eggs in a small bowl.  I always whisk the eggs together first, and then mix in the other ingredients.  Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the flour and mix together.  It may appear a little lumpy, which is fine.

Heat a nonstick griddle over medium heat, for a few 4-5 minutes.  Once ready, pour ¼ cup of batter (I used my ¼ cup measuring cup) onto the prepared griddle and let cook.  The bottoms of the pancakes should cook in about 2 minutes time but keep an eye on the bubbles that appear, that will help you monitor.  Once ready, flip the pancake over and let the other side cook.  When the pancakes are done cooking, place them on a plate and cover with aluminum foil to help keep them warm until serving (or place them in an oven, preheated to 200 degrees)

For the Eggs:
In a medium bowl, crack and add the eggs.  Now, whisk the eggs together until the whites and yolk are well combined.  Add in the milk, crumbled sausage patties, black pepper, and dash of salt.  Whisk the ingredients around a little more until everything is combined.

Spray a large, non-stick skillet with cooking spray (such as PAM) and preheat it over a medium heat.  Once ready, pour in the egg mixture.  Scramble together until the eggs are cooked through.

To Assemble:
Place a slice of cheese on top of a pancake.  If you plan to add Canadian bacon or regular bacon, add it now.  Next, add on some of the scrambled egg/sausage mixture.  If you would like, feel free to add on another piece of cheese.  Top with a pancake and then add on some maple syrup.

We stuck the prepared sandwich in the microwave for about 15 seconds, just long enough to help the cheese melt a little.

Source: Slightly adapted from Paula Deen

0 comments:

Post a Comment