RSS

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Cashew Chicken


One of my favorite types of food would definitely have to be Chinese.  I can't think of a single Chinese dish that I've ever tried, that I didn't enjoy.  Naturally, I decided that I would attempt making a homemade version of some of my favorites. 

To start off my Chinese food cooking frenzy (meaning there will be more to follow at a later date), I decided to attempt making cashew chicken.  To me, it just sounded like it would be one of the easier dishes.  After a few tires though, and following different recipes (because I was never fully satisfied), I finally found what I feel to be a great version of cashew chicken.

Cashew Chicken
Printer-Friendly Version

Ingredients:
1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
8 scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
3 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
¼ cup water
¾ cup raw cashews, toasted
Salt and pepper to taste
White or brown rice (optional)

Directions:
Combine the chicken, cornstarch, salt, and pepper in a large Ziplock bag and shake until the chicken is well coated.  In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium to high heat.  Cook the chicken, tossing often for about 3-5 minutes.  Add the garlic and the white parts of the scallions to the skillet.  Continue cooking until the chicken is browned.  Now, add in the vinegar and cook until it is evaporated, about 20-30 seconds.  Next, pour in the ¼ cup water and hoisin sauce.  Continue to stir all together until the chicken is completely cooked through.  Remove the skillet from the heat and add in the green parts of the scallions and the toasted cashews.  If desired, garnish with extra scallions and serve over white or brown rice.

Source: Let's Dish

0 comments:

Post a Comment