RSS

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Eclair Cake



Desserts are pretty much my favorite food item to make, therefore whenever we go over to a friend's house, I always volunteer (and am often asked) to bring the dessert.  However, this particular time I didn't have much notice and needed something that would be quick and easy.  I immediately started browsing through my saved recipes and that's when I came upon this recipe for eclair cake.  I've had the opportunity to sample eclair cake before and always enjoyed it, which made it pretty easy to settle on.

Not only was this recipe quick and easy, but it also made for one tasty dessert!  As a bonus, you can make it as healthy or unhealthy as you want.  I tend to take the healthy route when it's for me and use sugar free pudding, reduced fat whipped cream, and reduced fat graham crackers.  I think it tastes the same!

Éclair Cake
Printer-Friendly Version

Ingredients:
2 (3.5 oz) packages instant vanilla pudding mix (I use sugar free)
1 (8 oz) container whipped topping, thawed (I use Kraft fat free)
3 cups milk (I use skim)
1 (16 oz) package graham crackers (I use reduced fat)
Chocolate frosting, homemade or store-bought

Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
2 sticks butter, softened
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3-4 Tbsp. milk

Directions:
For the Filling:
In a medium size bowl, with a hand mixer, thoroughly mix the pudding, whipped topping, and the milk.

For the Chocolate Frosting:
In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment, cream the butter.  Add in the cocoa powder and vanilla extract.  Mix until just combined.  With the mixer on a medium speed, gradually add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.  When all the powdered sugar has been added in the frosting will appear dry.  (If not, you may need to add in a little more powdered sugar as needed)  Now, add in the milk and beat on a medium speed until the frosting becomes light and fluffy.

To Assemble:
Place a single layer of graham crackers on the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish and then evenly spread on half of the vanilla pudding mixture.  Add on another layer of graham crackers and top with the remaining vanilla pudding mixture.  Finish off with a final layer of graham crackers and top with the chocolate frosting.

Place in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.  The graham crackers need time to soften.


(Hint:)  If you are short on time, place the graham crackers in some milk before placing them in the dish.  This will help them soften much faster.

Source: Cake from All Recipes, frosting from Wilton

0 comments:

Post a Comment