RSS

Monday, March 5, 2012

Mudslide Cupcakes (Kahlua and Bailey's Irish Cream)


I know that it's been quite awhile since my last post, but things have been very hectic around here, both good and bad, and time has just slipped away.  The good news though, is that Jeff and I sold our home and we're currently living in a rental house.  This is only temporary though, because we're currently in the process of building a brand new home!  I'm very excited about it too, mostly because "our" new kitchen will be amazing!  We'll also have a really nice outdoor living area where we'll be able to entertain family and friends!

Now that the transition into the rental house is complete, I'm happy to announce that I finally have time to start posting again!!!  I've really missed being able to post recipes over the last couple of weeks, mostly because I've made many delicious meals and tasty treats I want to share!  I have just the one to start with too!  Mudslide cupcakes!!!  I love a good mudslide and these cupcakes are truly FANTASTIC!  In fact, my husband informed me that they might just be his new favorite.

The main reason I made the cupcakes was because a coworker of mine asked if I'd be willing to make something for a bachelorette party she'd be throwing.  Of course I said yes, as I LOVE to bake, and we decided on something that I could incoporate some liquor in.  Originally I was going to make margarita cupcakes, and still plan too at some point, but with the move and all, I was unable to locate the box I packed the tequila in.  Therefore, I had to improvise and started to dig through boxes.  It just so happened that I had some Bailey's Irish Cream and Kahlua on hand, two of my personal favorites.  I thought for a bit about what I could make with one, or both of them, and here's the result.........

P.S. - These would make a great addition for a St. Paddy's Day Party!

Mudslide Cupcakes (Kahlua and Bailey’s Irish Cream)
Printer-Friendly Version

Servings: About 24 cupcakes
Ingredients:
For the cupcakes:
3 eggs, separated and at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup strong cold coffee
3/4 cup Kahlua

For the Kahlua Buttercream:
16 Tbsp. butter, softened
3 cups (or more, if needed) powdered sugar
3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
4 Tbsp. Kahlua
3 Tbsp. hot coffee

For the Bailey’s Irish Cream Buttercream:
16 Tbsp. butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 Tbsp. Bailey’s Irish Cream

Directions:
For the cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare your cupcake pan with liners.

Beat the egg whites until foamy, on a high speed, in the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment.  With the mixer still running, add the granulated sugar and continue to beat until the mixture is thick, stiff, and glossy in appearance.  Now, gently place the egg white mixture into another bowl and set aside.  Be sure to thoroughly clean out the bowl of the electric mixer and then reattach.

In the clean mixing bowl, add the butter and brown sugar and mix together on a medium speed until light and fluffy.  Next, add in the egg yolks, one at a time, making sure to mix well after each addition. 

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda.

With the mixer set to a low speed, slowly pour in the flour mixture, coffee, and Kahlua, while making sure to alternate between the three, ending with the flour mixture.  Once combined, stop the mixer and using a rubber spatula gently fold in the egg whites.  Once the batter is well mixed, fill the cupcakes liners about two-thirds full.

Bake the cupcakes for around 18-22 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Remove the pan(s) from the oven and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack.

Kahlua Buttercream:
Combine the butter and powdered sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment.  Then, beat on a low-medium speed until smooth and creamy in texture.  Now, add in the cocoa powder, Kahlua, and coffee and mix until well combined.  If needed, add in more powdered sugar.

Set aside and clean out the bowl of the mixer.

Bailey’s Irish Cream Buttercream:
Once again, beat together the butter and powdered sugar, on a low-medium speed, in the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment.  Once ready, the mixture should appear smooth and creamy in texture.  Now, add in the vanilla extract and Bailey’s Irish Cream, mixing well until combined. 

Frost the cupcakes however you would like, and garnish with some shaved chocolate!

0 comments:

Post a Comment