RSS

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Turkey Stuffed Red Peppers


The other day, while I was busy making my way around the grocery store, I happened to notice some fantastic looking red peppers.  I couldn't help but hear them calling my name, so without thinking too much about it, I purchased a few.  At the time, I figured that even if I didn't incorporate them into a meal, I'd at least cut them up to have as a healthy snack, with some hummus.

When I arrived home though, and looked in the freezer, I noticed I had some ground turkey.  I immediately decided that I would use the turkey to make stuffed red peppers, because it's something I've been wanting to try for awhile now.  Here's the result!  

Turkey Stuffed Red Peppers           
Printer-FriendlyVersion

Ingredients:
2 tsp. olive oil
1-1 ½ lb. 99% fat free ground turkey
1 small onion, finely chopped                                                  
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. oregano
¼ cup fresh baby spinach, chopped (I find it easiest to rip into small pieces)
¾ (24 oz. jar) Prego Roasted Garlic Parmesan
Dash of black pepper
Dash of garlic powder
4-6 red peppers cut in half and seeded
Kraft shredded Parmesan cheese
Mozzarella cheese

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  In a medium or large skillet, over medium heat, add the olive oil and the onion.  Continue to sauté the onion until it becomes translucent in appearance, this will take about 3-4 minutes.  Next, add in the garlic and stir around until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  After that, add in the ground turkey and sprinkle with the oregano.  Continue by browning the turkey, making sure to periodically stir around while it cooks.

While the turkey is browning, cut the red peppers in half and seed them.  Set aside.

Once the turkey is no longer pink, drain any excess juices, then add in the chopped spinach, dash of pepper, dash of garlic powder, and the Prego Roasted Garlic Parmesan (I also added in a little Parmesan cheese here).  Stir the ingredients together, until well combined, and then allow the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes.

Once ready, scoop the mixture into the hollowed out red peppers and sprinkle some mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on top.  Place the stuffed peppers onto a baking sheet and place in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese begins to turn a nice golden brown and the peppers look soft.

Serve warm!

Source: Bowl of Creativity original 

0 comments:

Post a Comment