RSS

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cake Batter Ice Cream

I cannot believe how hot it is outside this week and not just hot, but also humid!  My thermometer is currently reading 99 degrees, which to me means that it is a perfect day for a scoop of ice cream and I have just the flavor to make.  Cake batter!!!  This works out nicely because it calls for 1/2 a cup of yellow cake mix, which I just made.  I told you that I would find a good use for the mix.  It is also my husband’s birthday so the cake batter ice cream will make an excellent side dish to help us celebrate!

I think that the next time I make this I will bake a small yellow cake to break into pieces to include in the ice cream.  The possibilities with this one are endless.  For now, I chose to top it with magic shell and sprinkles!


Cake Batter Ice Cream

Ingredients:
2 cups heavy cream, divided
½ cup homemade yellow cake mix
½ cup sugar
Pinch of salt
3 egg yolks
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1½ cups milk

Directions:
In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup of the heavy cream with the homemade yellow cake mix, sugar and salt.  Heat on medium until the mixture is warm, but not boiling.  Place the egg yolks in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth.  In another medium bowl combine the remaining cream, vanilla, and milk with a fine mesh sieve over the top.

When the mixture in the saucepan is warm, slowly pour a small amount into the bowl to temper with the egg yolk, while whisking constantly.  Continue pouring the cream mixture in a steady stream, whisking continuously until well combined.  Return the mixture to the saucepan and continue heating while stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan, until mixture begins to slightly thicken.

Take the saucepan off of the heat and immediately pour the custard mixture through the mesh sieve into the cream and milk mixture.  Mix to blend.  Cover and chill the mixture in the refrigerator.  Once the mixture is chilled through, place in an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions.  Store in an airtight container in the freezer or enjoy immediately!

Source:  Annies Eats; originally adapted from The Kitchy Kitchen

0 comments:

Post a Comment