RSS

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Zucchini Cabbage Soup

Would you like some cabbage soup?” 

The first time that I heard this uttered, I immediately thought “gross!”  At the time, I disliked cabbage, so I automatically assumed that I would dislike the soup.  I therefore put it in the back of my mind and moved on with other things.  Recently however, this soup has been brought up again, both in books that I have read and in magazines.  Apparently, it is suppose to be a very filling soup, which is why celebrities go on what is known as the “cabbage soup diet” when they want to lose weight fast for their upcoming movies or award shows, and why the characters in the book that I just finished reading, “Winter Garden”, eat the soup. 

After seeing it mentioned in a few different places, I became intrigued and decided to do a little research for a recipe.  While I was searching around online, I found a variety of ways that you can make cabbage soup, but this recipe was the one that looked the most appetizing to me.  Mostly because I am currently addicted to zucchini.  After having made it twice now, in a matter of two weeks, and it turning out delicious both times, I’m hooked!  I also find that it is a very filling soup, just like I had heard.

Zucchini Cabbage Soup

Ingredients:
(Yields 4 servings)
1/2 medium head of cabbage; diced
1 1/2 medium zucchinis; diced
1 large clove of garlic; diced and minced
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. black pepper
salt to taste
12 oz. V-8 vegetable juice
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 can French onion soup; undiluted (10 ½ oz. can)
1/2 a cup finely shredded carrots
1 to 2 cups chopped spinach
dash of Worcestershire sauce

Directions:
Combine all ingredients, then cover and cook on low for 20-25 minutes, stirring once halfway through.

0 comments:

Post a Comment