RSS

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Strawberry Daiquiri Cupcakes

FYI - For the past year or so I have been baking cakes like crazy, not only for myself, but also for others’ special occasions.  If you are interested in seeing what some of my finished cakes look like, please visit my facebook page, “Savory Sweets by Jamie”. 


This information is important because it leads me into today’s post.  This past spring, a co-worker approached me wondering if I would be willing to make a cake and cupcakes for a bachelorette party that she was going to be throwing.  Seeing that I absolutely love to bake, and enjoy getting to showcase my creative side, I jumped on the opportunity and said “Yes!”

Before I even made it home from work that day, I began to brainstorm ideas.  I knew that whatever I made needed to be something unique and tasty.   Later on it came to me.  Mixed drinks!  Immediately I needed to know what type of drinks the bride liked, but it was already the end of the work day and I was at home.  It was difficult to wait, but the next day I got together with my co-worker and asked her what she thought about alcohol flavored cupcakes?  She absolutely loved the idea and we decided on a strawberry daiquiri flavor, which just happens to be one of my favorite drinks.  So I gathered up all the ingredients that I would need and started baking.

In the end, it was worth all my time and effort!  Both the cake and the cupcakes turned out moist and delicious!  I received a lot of compliments and was even asked to make them again for someone else.  I believe that these cupcakes would make a great summer treat for anyone, which is why I have decided to share them with you today.  If needed, you could always substitute real rum for rum extract, although it does not taste the sameEnjoy!

Strawberry Daiquiri Cupcakes
Printer-Friendly Version
Ingredients:

Cupcakes:
2 cups white sugar
1 (3 oz.) package strawberry flavored gelatin
1 cup butter, softened
4 eggs (room temperature), separated
2 3/4 cups cake flour, sifted
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk, room temperature
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup strawberry daiquiri mix
2 Tbsp. rum

Frosting:
1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
1 Tbsp. milk
2 Tbsp. strawberry daiquiri mix

Directions:

To Make Cupcakes - Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. then line or grease cupcake pans.

In a small bowl whisk together the sifted cake flour and the baking powder.  Set aside for later use.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and dry strawberry gelatin until light and fluffy.  Slowly beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  With the mixer set on a low speed, add the flour mixture to the batter, alternating with the milk.  Blend in the vanilla, daiquiri mix and rum until just combined.

Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full of batter and bake for around 18-22 minutes, or until toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.

To Make Frosting - In a large bowl cream the butter with an electric mixer.  Add the vanilla and mix until combined with butter.  Gradually add the sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl.  If the icing looks a little dry, that is ok.  Add in the milk and strawberry daiquiri mix and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.  If the frosting still appears to be somewhat too thick for your taste, you can always add a little more milk or daiquiri mix to thin it out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment