RSS

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies

I cannot resist anything that is butterscotch flavor, so when I stumbled across this cookie recipe online, I knew right away that I had to try them!  I will also be the first to admit that I am kind of a sweetaholic!  Cakes, cookies, brownies, pies, pastries, candy, you name it and I’ll enjoy it.

I believe that my love of sweets comes from my dad, because my mom has never been one to enjoy the sweeter foods.  Looking back now, I have to laugh a little, because while I was growing up I can remember my mom hiding boxes of cookies from my dad, so that he wouldn’t sneak too many.  Sometimes I think my husband should probably do the same for me, especially when it comes to these cookies.  When I first glanced at the recipe I discovered that they contained everything I love!  Butterscotch, cinnamon, oatmeal, coconut, and toffee bits all wrapped into one delectable dessert (or in my case snack)!  Luckily for me, I already had everything on hand that I would need, and couldn't wait to get started.

The end result was even better than I could have imagined!  The recipe turned out cookies that were soft, moist and chewy.  I will definitely be baking these cookies again in the very near future!  Not only were they delicious, but they also made the house smell great while they were baking.

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies
Printer-Friendly Version

Yield: about 2 dozen cookies
Ingredients:
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1½ cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup shredded coconut (or more if you would like)
3/4 cup butterscotch chips
1/4 cup toffee bits

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, then set aside.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars together on a medium-high speed, until light and fluffy.  This will take about 2-3 minutes.  Next, beat in the egg until fully incorporated.  Now, blend in the vanilla.  Change the mixer to a low speed and mix in the dry ingredients until just incorporated.  Using a spatula, or a large spoon, gently fold in the oats, coconut, butterscotch chips and toffee bits until evenly combined throughout the dough.

Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.  Drop scoops of dough (1-2 tablespoons) onto baking sheets about 1-2 inches apart.  Bake for 12-15 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through.  Cookies should be just set and light golden in color.  Remove the pans from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.  Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and let cool completely before eating or storing.

Source: Slightly adapted from Annie's Eats, who adapted it from Taylor Takes a Taste

0 comments:

Post a Comment