RSS

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Homemade Yellow Cake Mix

A lot of different recipes that I have found online lately call for a box of yellow cake mix.  Not that I mind going to the store to pick up a box, but I really wanted to try to make my own and was very excited when I found a recipe!  To me, homemade food just tastes better than store bought, especially when it comes to cakes.  I was also drawn in by the idea that I could store any unused mix in the freezer for up to 2 months.  I like this idea because most of my recipes call for only 1/2 a cup of mix, unless I am making a cake or cupcakes.
This recipe is so easy to make and now that I have whipped myself up a batch I have so many new recipes to try out!  Lets see.......where to begin?????  While I am thinking, here is the recipe so that you can make something tasty of your own to enjoy!

Homemade Yellow Cake Mix
Printer-Friendly Version

Ingredients:
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
16 tablespoons butter (2 sticks), cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Process sugar, flours, milk powder, baking powder, and salt in a food processor until combined. Add butter and vanilla and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.  If the mixture starts to clump together, just stop pulsing and break it to pieces.  It should fall apart very easily.  Freeze the dry mixture in a zipper-lock bag for up to 2 months or use immediately.

If you want to use the mixture to make a cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour your pan of choice.  Mixture will make 2-9” round cakes or 1-9x13” cake.

Add 1¼ cups warm water and 2 large, room temperature eggs to the cake mix.  Using an electric mixer beat on a low speed for 30 seconds and then turn to a medium-high speed and beat for 2 minutes or until the mixture is smooth.  Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool the cake(s) in the pan(s) for 10 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool completely.

If making cupcakes, follow the same process but only bake for 18-20 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment