RSS

Friday, August 12, 2011

Green Bean Spaghetti Carbonara


One thing that I really enjoyed doing this summer was going to the local farmer's market.  I discovered that you can get the best fruits and vegetables from a farmer's market and that they are definitely much tastier and a whole lot cheaper than what you can pick up from a grocery store.  Fresher too! 

One vegetable that I always try to buy fresh, instead of canned, or frozen, is green beans.  All you have to do is snap off the ends, throw them into a pot of boiling water, and presto, you have a tasty snack or a great side to any dinner.  Lately, it seems that my obsession with green beans has grown, and I wanted to try to include them in a main dish, instead of just serving them as a side. 

That's when it happened.  I had just received my latest issue of "EveryDay, with Rachael Ray" and as I was flipping through the magazine I noticed a recipe for a green bean spaghetti carbonara dinner.  I knew right away that I had to try it!  Not only did it look delicious, but it also looked fairly simple to make (great for a busy evening) and did not call for a ton of ingredients.  It was exactly what I was looking for!

Green Bean Spaghetti Carbonara
Printer-Friendly Version

Serves 4-6
Ingredients:
16 oz. spaghetti
¾ lbs. green beans cut into bite-size pieces
½ lb. bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 eggs
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions, adding the green beans halfway through cooking time.  When the pasta and beans are done, carefully drain, making sure to reserve ¼ cup of the water.

Brown the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the onion and soften, this will take about 30 seconds to one minute.  Deglaze by pouring in the reserved cooking water and remove from heat.

Whisk together the eggs and the Parmesan cheese.  Off of the heat add the pasta, beans, eggs and cheese to the skillet and toss to coat.  Season with salt and pepper and garnish with a little extra Parmesan cheese.


Source: Everyday with Rachael Ray

0 comments:

Post a Comment