RSS

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Juline's Wedding Cake


This post takes the cake....quite literally!

I know that I haven't posted anything new within the past few days, but like I warned you, I've been extremely busy in the kitchen.  I'm incredibly excited too, to share my most recent baking accomplishment!  Juline's wedding cake!  I keep telling myself that one of these days I'll take a cake decorating class or two, but as for now, I'll just keep it as a hobby/second job.

So let me take a moment or two now, to share my baking process with you, because a wedding cake, as you might have already guessed, can be pretty time consuming. However, I absolutely love every second of decorating a cake, except of course for the dishes.


The Cake:

The whole cake process really began on Wednesday evening.  That's when I originally started baking the first 4 cakes, and I didn't finish baking until Thursday night.  (Actually, I should say that the process really started last Saturday, when I cut the flowers out of gum paste, in order to make sure they had adequate time to dry out.)  When Friday rolled around, it was all about frosting, filling, and decorating the cakes, which was definitely the most time consuming, but fun part! 

I ended up using a new recipe too, for the buttercream frosting and will definitely stick to this one from now on.  Honestly, it was to die for (Yes, I had to cave and try a small sample, but only because it was the first time I made it this way).  It was definitely a hit too, because guests who attended the wedding came up to me to say that they loved the frosting, and that they're usually not frosting people.

Buttercream Frosting: (cut in half for smaller cakes)
4 sticks butter
2 tsp. vanilla extract
8 cups (maybe a little more) confectioner's sugar
2-3 Tbsp. French Vanilla Coffeemate Creamer (I use sugar-free, not that it matters)

After the cakes were decorated, I placed small dowel rods into each layer, for additional support, and also to ensure that the layers wouldn't cave down onto the one below it.  You should be able to see the rods in the photo below.


Once the cakes were set, Jeff helped me spend some time stringing together fake pearls, which ended up going around the cake layers.  Overall, I'd have to say that I'm very pleased with how the wedding cake turned out!  I was a little worried at first, when Juline informed me that she didn't want any color on the cake, but I definitely like it better this way.  I feel that it gives the cake a very elegant look.


Ok....I have to take a minute now, to give my husband Jeff a big, public thank you!  I couldn't have done it without him!  The reason I say this is because Jeff not only helped me daily with dishes, but he also sat and strung pearls with me for about one and a half hours Friday night, then helped me pack the cakes into his Jeep, and also drove me to the Country Club where I needed to set the cake up.  Jeff even helped me carry the cake inside, layer by layer.  I'm so lucky that he's such a good sport about things!


Cake Details:
Bottom layer (14") - Marble cake with a buttercream filling and fresh strawberries
2nd layer (12") - Yellow cake with a buttercream filling
3rd layer (10") - Yellow cake with a buttercream filling and fresh strawberries
Top layer (8") - Yellow cake with a buttercream filling


Juline's wedding cake topper was her grandparent's from their anniversary cake.  I loved it!


Got to love instagram!

Nothing beats the feeling of being a part of a friend's special day!  I wish Juline and Jesse a lifetime of happiness together!  Thanks for trusting me to be a part of your wedding.

0 comments:

Post a Comment